Thursday, January 29, 2009


Funny I never regret early morning walks...but it does take very special gear on these extra cold mornings ..................................................................
Pearl and I walk week day mornings with friends from down the road. We walk 2miles at 6 am. When it's really cold I wear the very special gear you see Pearl modeling. My talented daughter made my garnet colored scarf. The first layer of hand warming gear are glow in the dark tropical print gloves my wonderful cousin from Florida sent me. The next layer of hand gear is a pair of apple green mittens hand knit by my Farmer's market friend "sheknits." I wear jeans, with green paint on them, and a old barn coat, that went to many of my daughter's equestrian events, a hunter's orange cap my mom made, 2 or 3 layers of socks, and sturdy pink and white walking shoes too. Pearl dances all about with enthusiasm each morning as soon as she sees me begin to pull out my very special walking gear. When we reach the front sidewalk Pearl is prancing with her nose in the air, then to the ground and then all around and the joy of our morning exploration begins. No matter how cold it is. Watching the break of day is incredible. We greet our friends in a quarter mile and down the road we all go grateful for having these opportunities to share recipes, watch the sun's light meet the horizon, see the moon's light cast shadows, watching falling stars, listening to deer graze in the pasture, visiting with friends, and so much more. By the time we return home and Pearl runs to the biscuit drawer in the kitchen, I'm refreshed and ready for the day...after I put away my very special walking gear for tomorrow's day "break."

3 comments:

  1. When are we going to get to see a picture of you in your "special gear". It sounds adorable (and colorful!)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a colorful sight you must be!! dogs make the best walking partners, don't they? --nothing against your people friends of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you girl! All of those people snug in their beds don't know what they are missing!
    I even enjoy the days when Pearl is on HIGH alert! It makes me wonder what the hay is going down!
    See ya in the morning weather permitting! Rain, no, Snow... absolutely! from your Yankee friend!

    ReplyDelete