Friday, February 20, 2009



"Comfort food"

While waiting in line at the grocery store I noticed a lot of magazine covers with the headline "Comfort food" and I got to thinking, "what is my comfort food?" Mmmmm chocolate, homemade wheat mac&cheese, ...after that I neeeeed "eye-candy"... a good mix of colorful fabrics, colorful quilts, photos, fresh flowers, and fresh produce from the garden beautifully arranged all shared with friends and family.

Another bit of comfort is this wonderful little sew machine my great Auntie Barbie left me. It has been to camps to quilt, hotels to quilt, a mountain cottage to quilt, a beach house to quilt, a lake house to quilt, each of the 8 woman's homes that I have quilted with for the last 16 years, the library to quilt, and two quilt shops to teach classes. Together we have stitched up many good times and memories.

This could be the "comfort corner" of "guest/sewing room." The fabric, patterns, sketch books, rulers, etc. start to "bulge" & spill out when I quilt. Slowly but surely the fabric pieces and parts spill into the hall and into the other bed room up stairs as designs and plans evolve for a quilt...the ironing board is in the loft, cutting mats are buried under rulers and fabric on beds. A few Hershey kisses and a cup of coffee are in the mix some where in this plan ..all the while I can smell a delicious crock of Mac&cheese cooking in the oven while the sewing machine humms. Building a quilt... this is comfort for all the senses that eventually develops into comfort for others to use and share.
"Comfort food"

No comments:

Post a Comment